[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell-Cafe Digest, Vol 39, Issue 6

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Nov 6 05:08:44 EST 2006

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 17:22:31 +0100, Lemmih wrote:
[..]
>pseq is just as bad. The problem is excessive use of strictness
>annotations in the hope of a magical performance improvement.
>Strictness annotations should be used with care and only placed where
>they're needed.

Premature annotations for strictness is the root of all evil?  :-)

How do one find "good" places to use strictness annotations?  (Is using
a profiler the answer, just like it's the answer for manual optimisation
in non-lazy languages?)

Oh, just in case you didn't guess it already, I'm a Haskell n00b who has
yet to achieve enlightenment...

/M

magnus at therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning at gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

"And wow! Hey! What's this thing coming towards me very fast? Very
very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding
word like...  ow... ound... round...  ground! That's it! That's a good
name - ground!  I wonder if it will be friends with me?"

-- For the sperm whale, it wasn't.