[Haskell-cafe] Translating Haskell to VHDL. What approach to follow?

Alfonso Acosta alfonso.acosta at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 16:50:34 EST 2006

Hi all,

As I wrote in the previous HLADPSA announcement, during the following
moths I'm going to write a translator from Haskell to VHDL in order to
accomplish my masters thesis goal.

The main requirement is managing to translate from a ForSyDe
(http://www.imit.kth.se/info/FOFU/ForSyDe/ ) specification which is
Haskell after all, to VHDL.

In order to get part of the work for free I decided to design the
translator as a compiler backend. The best option so far seems to be
Yhc's Core API (http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yhc/API/Core ), which
unfortunately lacks type information.

I discarded GHC due to the current "bit-rotted" state of External Core
(http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2006-October/018786.html
) and higher complexity of its core representation (SystemFC).

I might have overlooked other approaches and/or intermediate
representations such as  GHC's C-- and STG (is it still used?).

I'd be pleased to hear any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Alfonso Acosta