[Haskell-cafe] State Variables

Alberto Ruiz aruiz at um.es
Mon May 29 04:19:23 EDT 2006

On Sunday 28 May 2006 23:38, Matthew Bromberg wrote:
> I've been toying with the idea of using Haskell to write a medium sized
> simulation
> of a wireless network.  However  I have a number of concerns as I've
> begun to
> program a bit more in Haskell.
>
> The first concern is that the simulation needs to be fast, much faster
> than Matlab
> for example, to justify the use of Haskell.

> (...)
>
> The second concern is that the simulation  requires
> heavy use of complex valued matrices.  Since I'm on windows and the
> only reasonably well developed matrix library doesn't run on windows I
> would be forced to use the FFI to bring in various BLAS and LAPACK
> routines to
> support this.
> (...)

If matrix operations with very large matrices are the most expensive part of
your application it is not easy to be much faster than Matlab or Octave,
which already use the optimized ATLAS BLAS and LAPACK. But you can obtain
similar performance with a much better language :)

Which matrix computations do you need?

Alberto