[Haskell-cafe] The values of infinite lists

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Tue May 23 10:54:10 EDT 2006

On May 23, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Paul Hudak wrote:

> Hi Claus --
>
> I think that you're asking for a semantics of the entire OS, i.e.
> the entire outside world, and for that I agree that something other
> than equational reasoning is needed to reason about it.  However, I
> would argue that that is outside the mandate of a book on Haskell.
> But maybe that's the point -- i.e. others feel otherwise.
>
> My main point it that if we're reasoning about a single Haskell
> program (with no impure features), then the entire world, with all
> its non-determinism internal to it, can be modelled as a black box
> -- i.e. a function -- that interacts with the single Haskell
> program in a completely sequential, deterministic manner.  And for
> that, equational reasoning is perfectly adequate.
>
> The original Haskell report in fact had an appendix with a
> semantics for I/O written as a Haskell program with a single non-
> deterministic merge operator.  The reason for the non-deterministic
> merge was to account for SEVERAL Haskell programs interacting with
> the OS, but for a single program it can go away.  I claim that such
> a semantics is still possible for Haskell, and equational reasoning
> is sufficient to reason about it.
>
> If you disagree, then please tell me which features in Haskell (a
> particular I/O command, perhaps?) cannot be modelled as a
> function.  I'm not familiar with your thesis, but I note in the
> abstract that you "extend an existing, purely functional language
> with facilities for input/output and modular programming".  If
> those extensions cannot be modelled as pure functions, then I would
> agree that a process calculus (say) would be the right way to go.
> But as far as i know, Haskell doesn't have such features.

IO.hGetContents?  I suspect the result of using hGetContents on a
file you have open for writing in the same program can't be modeled
as a pure function; at best you can say it depends on the order of
evaluation which isn't defined.  Not that it's necessarily a huge
blow to your argument (hGetContents is viewed with some suspicion
anyway), but it is a Haskell98 feature.

Things obviously get more complicated in the presence of
concurrency.  I'm not certain, but I believe some of the memory
consistency models being discussed for Haskell' are not expressible
using a non-deterministic merge, which basically assumes that all
program actions are serializable.

http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/haskell-prime/2006-March/001168.html