[Haskell-cafe] RE: transactional cache

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Fri May 12 13:57:42 EDT 2006

Albert Lai:

Thanks. I got the poit more or less; Each invocation creates a new
IORef instance. UnsafePerformIO appears to generate a unique IORef
that can be shared (sorry for my imperative vocabulary, I´m sill
contaminated by al these evil languages ;).

I tried with "usafePerformIO NewTVar v" but the program fails
miserably in a memory fault. I finally did it well usign a IORef than
contains the TVar:

refcache =unsafePerformIO $  (do c <-  atomically $ newTVar emptyFM
		                  newIORef c)
and then dereferencing refcache in the IO Monad I get ever the same
context no matter where i do it:

do
   tvcache <- readIORef refcache
   atomically $ do
                      finiteMap <- readTVar  tvcache
                      (useful code here at last)...

Who said that Haskell is difficult?. Jokes apart, STM is powerful. I
will share the transactional cache when I have it tested.

-----------referred message:-------
Message: 1