[Haskell-cafe] Re: develop new Haskell shell?

Max Vasin max-appolo at mail.ru
Fri May 12 10:56:29 EDT 2006

>>>>> "Brian" == Brian Hulley <brianh at metamilk.com> writes:
Brian> Some other possibilities are:

Brian> 1) Every command returns a pair consisting of result and return
Brian> code

IMHO the distinction between command's output (to stdout and stderr)
and its return code is one of the faults in UNIX shells. Nothing, but
log should be written to stdout by command, and stderr should be useless
if we use exceptions (I'm not quite sure).

Brian> 2) Use exceptions instead of stderr

instead of stderr and return code. The return code of `test' is in fact
its result.

Brian> 3) Use a more complicated monad

>> It may still be a good idea to take the top 20 unix utils and code
>> them as native haskell functions and see how far that goes. I know
>> there are some existing libraries that deal with basic stuff like
>> mv, etc. Has anyone implemented grep, find, etc?

Brian> This is also how I would start because it would allow all the
Brian> control flow/ ease of use issues to be explored just using GHCi
Brian> / Hugs etc before tackling the problem of how to get binaries
Brian> to interface with the shell.

--
WBR,
Max Vasin.