Pragmatic concurrency Re: [Haskell-cafe] multiple computations, same input

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at
Wed Mar 29 16:08:01 EST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Brian Hulley wrote:

> This sounds good. The only thing I'm wondering is what do we actually gain by
> using Haskell in the first place instead of just a strict language? It seems
> that Haskell's lazyness gives a succinct but too inefficient program which
> then needs extra code in the form of rewrite rules/pragmas, or else a complete
> rewrite in terms of seq etc to get it to run fast enough without space
> leaks...

Often the laziness is useful for purposes of efficiency as well though.

flippa at

Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire. Most
of the time you just get burnt worse though.