[Haskell-cafe] A Haskell Tutorial

Jonathan Tang nostrademons at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 14:39:44 EST 2006

Hi all,

I've written a Haskell tutorial that walks the reader through the
implementation of a Scheme interpreter:

Instead of focusing on small examples at the Haskell REPL, it tries to show
the reader how to construct a real program with Haskell.  It introduces
monads and IO early, and also includes error checking, state, file I/O, and
all the other "hard stuff" that's frequently omitted from beginner

Am looking for feedback on two main axes:

1.) Experienced Haskell users: is this more-or-less idiomatic Haskell?  Did
I miss any library or language features that could make the programmer's job
easier?  It was my first substantial Haskell program, so I worry that I may
have missed some common ways of doing things.

2.) Novices: is it clear and easy to understand?  I had a tough time
figuring out how to do anything practical in Haskell, because most tutorials
omit IO, gloss over monads, and don't pay any attention to state or
error-checking.  Does this rectify those shortcomings?

Comments/critiques are appreciated.