[Haskell-cafe] Define combination of type classes?

Fritz Ruehr fruehr at willamette.edu
Thu Mar 23 20:45:42 EST 2006

What is the easiest way to name a combination of type classes, i.e., to
abbreviate the fact that a certain type is an instance of several
classes simultaneously? I have a vague sense that this is do-able, but
that I am messing up by trying to use an empty class body as below.

So in the code below, I try to use FooBar to abbreviate the conjunction
of Foo and Bar. But while f (which uses a FooBar constraint) has a
valid definition, it can't be used. On the other hand, g (which uses
the long-winded constraint), is both a valid defined and useable.

(In a real example, imagine that FooBar names a conjunction of a half
dozen things, so that the g-like form really is onerous, whereas the
f-like form would be sweet and tidy :) .)

   --  Fritz

-------------------

class Foo a where
   foo :: a -> Int