[Haskell-cafe] Looking for an efficient tree in STM

Josef Svenningsson josef.svenningsson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 11:16:20 EST 2006

Sorry for the slow reply,

On 3/8/06, Einar Karttunen <ekarttun at cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> Does anyone have an efficient tree implemented in STM that
> supports concurrent updates in an efficient fashion? This
> seems suprisingly hard to implement - a normal binary
> tree with links as TVar is very slow and does not scale
> very well.

I'm just wondering whether it is important for you that all the internal
links are TVars. That of course depends on what kind of API you're imagining
for your data structure. I would imagine though that a single TVar pointing
to the root of your favourite functional tree implementation will be quite
sufficient. My guess is it would also be the fastest way of implementing it.

Cheers,

/Josef