[Haskell-cafe] matrix computations based on the GSL

Alberto Ruiz aruiz at um.es
Thu Mar 16 12:48:37 EST 2006

Hi Frederick,

I refer to the ATLAS library:

http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/

Some versions of octave use it. I have not yet linked the GSL library with it,
you must compile it yourself to take advantage of the optimizations for your
architecture, but I think that it must be easy. It is in my TO DO list... :)

Curiously, I am just now working in a new (and hopefully improved)
version of the GSL wrappers. A first and preliminary approximation to the
documentation can be found at:

http://dis.um.es/~alberto/GSLHaskell/doc/

The code will be available in two or three days in a darcs repository.

I have simplified the wrapper infrastructure and the user interface. Now we
can freely work both with real and complex vectors or matrices, still with
static type checking. There are also some bug corrections (the eigensystem
wrapper destroys its argument!).

I made some run time comparisons, precisely in the PCA example with the big
matrix. I don't remember the exact difference, but I think that 5 times
faster is too much... I will check it as soon as possible. Of course our goal
is to have something like a functional "octave" with the same performance
(and a much nicer language :)

Many thanks for your message!

Alberto