[Haskell-cafe] Re: Can't uninstall GHC or prepare SOE installation on OS X

Xavier Elizalde elizalde at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 9 10:21:34 EST 2006

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks heaps for replying. I'm just starting to read the books on
Haskell, which is why I don't know much about setting it up. I had a
brief introduction to it a couple of years ago, and I only used it in
text mode, so I wasn't even aware it could do graphics. I barely
remember any of it, and I didn't have to do the installation as well,
as it was in a computer lab for a course. From what I've seen in the
mailing lists, it can do graphics very well.

> What files? I don't have the book, so all I can tell you is that
> GHC includes a library module by the name of Graphics.SOE.

The binary Installation section for OS X (www.haskell.org/soe/
software.htm) says it installs hugs libs into /usr/local/lib/hugs,
and what I see for GHC uses /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.4.1. I presumed both
hugs and GHC needed to use the same libs in the same directory. That
page also says that it uses something called GraphicsLib. Is
GraphicsLib the same as Graphics SOE? Correct me if I'm wrong, but
from the sounds of it, GHC can be used for the SOE book just fine,
especially if it has a library module named Graphics SOE.

> The SOE binaries use hugs, and should therefore be completely
> independent of GHC, no uninstalling required.

I also thought that I couldn't install the SOE software and GHC at
the same time- I thought it would cause some sort of conflict, and I
thought I could only use one or the other. So I thought I should
uninstall GHC before SOE. But since GHC is the more recent release of
a Haskell compiler, I'll try to use that and install and use SOE if I
have any problems. Thanks for clarifying things.

Xavier