[Haskell-cafe] Re: MUA written in Haskell (was: Getting GHC to print "Done" when it's finished linking?)

Matthias Fischmann fis at wiwi.hu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 9 03:30:50 EST 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 07:52:28PM -0000, Brian Hulley wrote:
> To: Nils Anders Danielsson <nad at cs.chalmers.se>
> Cc: Haskell Cafe <haskell-cafe at haskell.org>
> From: Brian Hulley <brianh at metamilk.com>
> Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 19:52:28 -0000
> Subject: [Haskell-cafe] Re: MUA written in Haskell (was: Getting GHC to
> 	print "Done" when it's finished linking?)
>
> Nils Anders Danielsson wrote:
> >On Tue, 07 Mar 2006, "Brian Hulley" <brianh at metamilk.com> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> [...]
>
> 5) Ideally the scripting language would be Haskell. There is already stuff
> in Language.Haskell.* for doing parsing but I can't find anything which
> would allow you to compile and load functions into a running program.

this would be cool, but i don't think it's very urgent.  i would be
perfectly happy with a config directory that is scanned for code every
time i *recompile* my MUA.  it's not gonna happen every day.  and for
those few people who like installshields and still want to plug in
code that doesn't come with the distribution, the entire program could
be shipped within ghci.  i don't think this is a very resource-hungry
application for modern hardware standards.

nice wish list.  corpus navigation is missing, though.  a large topic,
and i have lots of ideas too half-baked to put in writing.  but you
should give it a thought.

m.

ps: did anybody get the riot thing compiled with ghc-6.4?  i have the
feeling there are some changes in the packageing interface in one of
the last ghc version shifts that bit me, and i was too distracted to
figure it out.  though i am really curious.