[Haskell-cafe] |> vs. $ (was: request for code review)

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 02:54:02 EST 2006

On 3/8/06, Shannon -jj Behrens <jjinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/8/06, Jared Updike <jupdike at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I suspect you guys are right.  I had always thought of states as
> > > being "isomorphic" to integers (i.e. you can be in state 0, state 1,
> > > ... state n), not as contexts (you have this input, that output, and
> > > this token stack), am I wrong?
> >
> > You're thinking of a state machine, I think, which is not quite what a
> > state monad would do here. (I have nightmares of writing a
> > state-machine parser in assembly like I did in an EE class once...
> > ouch).
> >
> > >  I suspect I need to spend more time
> > > trying to understand the state monad.  I must admit that I baulked
> > > the last time I tried to squeeze it into my head.  I'll just need to
> > > try again ;)
> >
> > Here's the way I like to think about state in imperative
> > programs---it's hard because it's not something you can get far away
> > from enough to see, usually.
> >
> > In imperative programs, the value of a variable 'a' at one point is
> > not always the value of the variable 'a' at another point later in the
> > code. In some sense, each statement that gets executed is passed the
> > entire state of the machine (the world) implicitly, and then when the
> > statement ends, it passes the state of the world on to the next
> > statement. If you want to access the value of the variable 'a', then
> > 'a' gets looked up in the environment/state.
> > In C/C++/Java/C#/Python/Perl, etc. this is done for you automatically
> > and efficiently. It's just the way the machine works. But you don't
> > have the choice to change this or, as someone put it, "overload the
> > semicolon".
> >
> > In Haskell none of this variable-mutating, state-passing **can**
> > occur, so it gets created from scratch, and voila, we have the State
> > Monad. It makes it sound like a lot more work than it should be just
> > to do something that comes for free in most other languages, but in
> > these languages, you can't overload the semicolon! And if you could,
> > who knows what could go wrong at runtime (imagine Perl with semicolon
> > overloading... I bet some day they will do this just because they
> > can...). In Haskell, everything is watched over by the type system, so
> > the parts of your program that explicitly need to munge state are
> > isolated with the some type tag, e.g. ParseContext, while the rest of
> > your program is "normal" and pure and functional.
> >
> > The problem with monads is not that they are "advanced" but that they
> > are so painfully and subtly abstract (I was going to say "subtly
> > simple" but maybe they aren't for most working non-Haskell
> > programmers...). (It just so happens that you **can** do amazing,
> > convenient, efficient, magic and otherwise advanced things with them,
> > especially with the libraries.) Another problem is that everyone has
> > different ways of explaining them or trying to define what they are (a
> > way of sequencing computation? or a type constructor? or a type
> [...]

Yes, having read more, I can see clearly that the State monad was what
I was looking for.  Consider:

<http://www.nomaware.com/monads/html/statemonad.html>
A pure functional language cannot update values in place because it
violates referential transparency. A common idiom to simulate such
stateful computations is to "thread" a state parameter through a
sequence of functions...This approach works, but such code can be
error-prone, messy and difficult to maintain. The State monad hides
the threading of the state parameter inside the binding operation,
simultaneously making the code easier to write, easier to read and
easier to modify.