[Haskell-cafe] Layout rule (was Re: PrefixMap: code reviewrequest)

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Thu Mar 2 17:15:54 EST 2006

Brian Hulley wrote:
[snip]
> So any solutions welcome :-)

Thank to everyone who replied to my queries about this whole layout issue.

One other thing I've been wanting to ask (not to change! :-)) for a while
is: how is the following acceptable according to the rules in the Haskell98
report where "where" is one of the lexemes, which when followed by a line
more indented than the line the layout-starting-lexeme is on, should start
an implicit block:

       module M where
       data T = .....            -- not indented!

According to my understanding of the layout algorithm, the above code would
have to be written:

       module M where
              data T = ....

Can anyone shed some light on what the formal rule is that allows the first
(and very useful) way of laying out code to be ok?

Thanks, Brian.