[Haskell-cafe] System.FilePath, Request for comments

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 13:48:49 EDT 2006

Hello Neil,

> I have written a System.FilePath module in part based on the one in
> Yhc, and in part based on the one in Cabal (thanks to Lemmih). The aim
> is to try and get this module into the base package, as FilePath's are

i think that filepath manipulation is among the things that absolutely
need to be included in base libs (together with jregex and string
manipulation). but just to let you know:

1) there are two independent filepath modules used with little
modifications in all projects i seen. They both included in MissingH
(FilePath.hs and NameManip.hs). Andrew Pimlott published it's own
module in libraries list (look at February "System.FilePath survey"
topic). May be, you can borrow some new functionality from these
sources

2) As you can see in this February discussion, one of debatable
question was support of ADTs for filanames. We can talk about this
now. Currently there is ByteStrings with forecoming UTF-8 support and
it's possible to implement FilePath module so it will work both with
filenames represented by String and ByteString. It's also possible to
add support of such filenames to IO library (at least, my own)

(even without all these changes, i will be glad to see this module in
base package, as long as it's interface leave space for future
innovations)

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com