[Haskell-cafe] Re: how to write an haskell binding

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Tue Jun 27 17:38:12 EDT 2006

Jeremy Shaw wrote:

>>> Don't forget "honor".
>
>> So I'd say these two words are closely related, so the search is
>> still on for another word with silent 'h' not related to time or
>> integrity.
>
> How about heir?

Thanks - I'd not thought of that one!

>Also, until recently, herb and humble?

I think these depend on one's dialect. I'd never think of saying "an herb"
but of course many people would.

> Got those from this page:
>
> http://www.askoxford.com/worldofwords/wordfrom/aitches/?view=uk
>
> Which also notes that sometimes we still use 'an' even though the 'h'
> is no longer silent. For example, 'an heroic effort', or 'an historic
> moment'.

This is what I meant by the evil spellchecker writer - I think this is just
some particular dialect trying to take over the whole language...

Still everyone will be pleased to know that I won't post any more about this
subject now that the third true silent 'h' has been found :-)

Best regards, Brian.

strive mightily unseen to destroy us.

http://www.metamilk.com