[Haskell-cafe] Re: how to write an haskell binding

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Tue Jun 27 15:36:30 EDT 2006

Aaron Denney wrote:
> On 2006-06-27, Brian Hulley <brianh at metamilk.com> wrote:
>> lennart at augustsson.net wrote:

>>> "There is no English word with a silrnt 'h'"... What kind of English
>>> do you speak?
>>> What about words like 'hour' and 'honest'?
>>
>> Ok apologies for forgetting about these 2 words (and their
>> derivatives) - I agree they do have a silent 'h'.
>> I suppose they are the exception that proves the rule... :-)
>
> Don't forget "honor".

>From the Collins English dictionary:

"honest" : not given to lying, cheating, stealing etc
"honour" or U.S. honor : personal integrity, allegiance to moral principles

So I'd say these two words are closely related, so the search is still on
for another word with silent 'h' not related to time or integrity.

Regards, Brian.

strive mightily unseen to destroy us.

http://www.metamilk.com