[Haskell-cafe] Scoped data declarations

lennart at augustsson.net lennart at augustsson.net
Mon Jun 26 10:08:34 EDT 2006

Here's a different example:

> foo = let data Foo = Foo in [Foo, Foo]

Since unfolding let bindings is always sematically equivalent
to the original expression this must be the same as

> foo = [let data Foo = Foo, let data Foo = Foo]

How will you make that work?  A, you could outlaw unfolding
'data', but then you would have to outlaw unfolding any expression
with an embedded 'data'.  Very ugly.  Or B, you can go for
structural equality on types.  But that would be a radical departure
from Haskell.  (BTW, this kind of example is the very reason Cayenne
has structural equality on types by default.)

I don't think local (scoped) type definitions mesh at all well
with the Haskell design.  This work nicely now because type definitions
are only allowed at the top level, so they have a definition location.
Which means that name equality works.

  -- Lennart