[Haskell-cafe] closures with side effects

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 04:11:27 EDT 2006

Hello dkarapet,

Monday, June 26, 2006, 11:32:19 AM, you wrote:

> I have been trying to understand closures in haskell and how they relate
> to side effects. I have been looking around but all I find are trivial
> examples with no side effects. Please let me know if you know of any
> examples.

what you mean by 'closure'? in Haskell, expression may have a side
effect only if it has "IO a" return type. it is then whole point of
pure lazy language - evaluation of pure (not "IO") expression can be
deferred until it's value really need and language guarantee that this
don't change anything (including lack of any side effects)

Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com