[Haskell-cafe] Lambda abstraction analogous to imperative pseudo-code?

Jason Dagit dagit at eecs.oregonstate.edu
Fri Jun 23 16:16:48 EDT 2006

On 6/10/06, Robert Dockins <robdockins at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Saturday 10 June 2006 04:35 pm, Clifford Beshers wrote:
> > The Wikipedia article on lambda abstractions
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda_abstraction) has a statement that
> > does not resonate with me:
> >
> >     A lambda abstraction is to a functional programming
> >     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming> language such
> >     as Scheme <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_programming_language>
> >     what pseudo-code <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo-code> is to an
> >     imperative programming
> >     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperative_programming> language.
> >
> > Does anyone else find this to be a peculiar statement?  If you think it
> > is accurate, could you provide an alternate explanation and/or example
> > to the one in the article?
>
> I agree; The article is questionable at best.  I've never seen the term
> "lambda abstraction" used in the way it is in the article.  I'd go so far as
> to say it's downright wrong.

On a related note, is anyone willing to fix wikipedia's page on CPS?
While I don't think it's wrong per se, it confuses me and I *almost*
understand CPS.  I can only imagine what their explanation does to
someone who is new to the topic.  I'd fix it myself but I don't feel
that my understanding of CPS is strong enough to go mucking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation_passing_style

Thanks,
Jason