[Haskell-cafe] Re: Functional progr., infinity, and the Universe

Jerzy Karczmarczuk jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Fri Jun 23 07:17:53 EDT 2006

Paul Hudak wrote:

> Actually Brian's intuition is right on target.  One way to define an
> infinite list is as the limit of an infinite chain of partial lists
> (which, in domain theory, is essentially how all elements are defined).

as the answer to Brian Hulley conjecture criticized by myself:

>>> Couldn't an infinite list just be regarded as the maximum element of
>>> the (infinite) set of all finite lists?

>> If you are right, then YOU JUST PROVED THE EXISTENCE OF GOD.

Perhaps his intuition is right, but there are fundamental differences -

A. Between the chain of partial lists and the set of finite lists
B. Between a limit and the maximum element of a set.

OK, I think that this subject matured enough to rest in peace...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk