[Haskell-cafe] Functional progr., images, laziness and alltherest

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Fri Jun 23 06:07:35 EDT 2006

Brian Hulley wrote:
> Piotr Kalinowski wrote:
>> On 22/06/06, Brian Hulley <brianh at metamilk.com> wrote:
>>

>>> For example, why do people accept that infinity == infinity + 1 ?
>>> Surely this expression is just ill-typed. infinity can't be a number.
>>
>> This equation is just a shortcut, so I can't see how can it be
>> ill-typed. It means something like: if you add one element to an
>> infinite list, will it be longer?
>
> What does your intuition say about this?

Well, Archimedes thought: "..in the palimpsest we found Archimedes doing just
that. He compared two infinitely large sets and stated that they have an equal
number of members. No other extant source for Greek mathematics has that."

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2002/november6/archimedes-116.html

--
Chris