[Haskell-cafe] Functional progr., images, laziness and alltherest

Piotr Kalinowski pitkali at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 16:42:29 EDT 2006

On 22/06/06, Brian Hulley <brianh at metamilk.com> wrote:
> This doesn't mean that these contradictions reflect reality - just that
> maths hasn't yet reached a true understanding of reality imho.

Well, I for instance believe that contradiction IS the true nature of
reality... ;)

> For example, why do people accept that infinity == infinity + 1 ? Surely
> this expression is just ill-typed. infinity can't be a number.

This equation is just a shortcut, so I can't see how can it be
ill-typed. It means something like: if you add one element to an
infinite list, will it be longer? I found the explanation in terms of
defining bijection between both lists very appealing (along with a
"metaphor" of taking one element at a time from both lists and never
being left with one of the lists empty, which was demonstrated here as
well).

Seems I don't understand your problem with infinity after all :)

Regards,
Piotr Kalinowski
--
Intelligence is like a river: the deeper it is, the less noise it makes