[Haskell-cafe] Functional progr., images, laziness and all therest

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Thu Jun 22 10:45:21 EDT 2006

Jon Fairbairn wrote:
> On 2006-06-22 at 15:16BST "Brian Hulley" wrote:
>> minh thu wrote:
>>> y and yq are infinite...
>> But how does this change the fact that y still has 1 more element
>> than yq? yq is after all, not a circular list.
> infinity+1 = infinity

Surely this is just a mathematical convention, not reality! :-)

>> I don't see why induction can't just be applied infinitely
>> to prove this.
> because (ordinary) induction won't go that far.

I wonder why?
For any finite list yq, |y| == |yq| + 1
So considering any member yq (and corresponding y) of the set of all finite
lists, |y| == |yq| + 1

Couldn't an infinite list just be regarded as the maximum element of the
(infinite) set of all finite lists?

Regards, Brian.
strive mightily unseen to destroy us.