[Haskell-cafe] Principal type in Haskell

Gerrit van den Geest g.vandengeest at students.uu.nl
Thu Jun 22 05:33:21 EDT 2006

According to Haskell 98 the principal type of f should be:

f :: (Eq a) => a -> a -> Bool.

GHC does only perform context-reduction using instance-declarations if
there are no type-variables in the type. Because the type in this
function is [a], ghc doesn't perform context-reduction. Ghc chooses this
strategy because of extensions like overlapping instances, there remains
more information in the type of a function to select an instance.

For some reason GHC also applies this strategy if one turns of the
extensions.

Grt