[Haskell-cafe] do we have something like isDefined or isNullin Haskell?

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Thu Jun 15 20:13:45 EDT 2006

On Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:07 PM Clifford Beshers wrote:

> On another note, who picked the word `Just' for this type
> and how did we end up with Some x | None in
> O'Caml and Just x | Nothing in Haskell?

I've always thought this is one of the most charming things about Haskell,
along with the use of the quaint word "otherwise". It's so friendly and
conversational compared to the cold logicality of OCaml or the shoutyness of
SML's SOME and NONE eg

    a phone call to a relative:
    callee: "Who's that?"
    caller: "Don't worry, it's Just me!"

    at school:
    teacher: "What did you just say?"
    pupil: "Nothing"

    in a shop:
    Haskeller: "I'll just buy some crisps"
    OCamler: "I'll buy some packet of crisps"
    SMLer: "I'll buy SOME packet of crisps"

Regards, Brian.

strive mightily unseen to destroy us.

http://www.metamilk.com