[Haskell-cafe] Features of Haskell

Clifford Beshers clifford.beshers at linspire.com
Fri Jun 9 22:54:03 EDT 2006

John Meacham wrote:
> <ramble>
>
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 02:16:47AM -0700, Clifford Beshers wrote:
>
>> Interesting.  I just gave a talk to the SGVLUG (San Gabriel Valley Linux
>> Users Group, which is centered at Cal Tech).  It was the first time I've
>> given such a talk, half about Linspire/Freespire, half about Haskell
>> features, and the other three halves were technical problems.
>>

> Oh, I live a block from Caltech, I didn't know there was a Haskell talk
> there.

Dang!  I referenced your 'small but featureful grep' as an example of
how Haskell should help reduce the need for `little languages' and
two-level languages.  I promised to come back in six months or so and
talk about the progress we've made on development tools for Freespire.
I'll let you know.

>> Writing the slides, I found that it is hard to disentangle all the
>> concepts and build from the ground up.  Those of us who use it have
>> forgotten just how many new concepts there are and how tightly bound
>> together they are in Haskell.  As always, when you try to teach
>> something you get a deeper understanding of it.  I'll see if I can't
>> clean up some of the examples with hindsight and send it along to you
>> and see what you think.
>>

> I always prefered using a chalkboard (or whiteboard, or overhead +
> markers) instead of a pre-prepared slideshow when giving talks. it lets
> me change the focus depending on audience reaction and questions more.
> If you can get away with it, I'd recommend it for future talks, ignore
> anyone that says it is not profesional, they wouldn't have paid
> attention anyway to anything other than your font choices and choice of
> screen-wipes between slides.

If I had been doing a tutorial, I might have done that, but I was doing
a whirlwind tour where the goal was to get people excited. Also, I find
that the first time presenting some information, I do better if I lay it
out before hand.  Explanation of code is a different beast than creation
of it.