[Haskell-cafe] HAppS in production?

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Wed Jun 7 19:49:56 EDT 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Joel Reymont wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2006, at 10:20 PM, S. Alexander Jacobson wrote:
>>
>> Does this make sense?
>
> Makes sense but almost sounds too good.

:-)  To be clear, the separation via binary streams has not yet been
implemented.  I plan to do so only if I need it.  If you get to that
scale first, then you get to do it :-/.

FYI, I am currently funding a modification to HAppS back end
logging/persistence system to allow the user to switch easily between
disk and Amazon S3.  For my apps, I'm willing to add 1.5x S3 latency
in exchange for not having to worry about maintainin a reliable RAID
disk subsystem with hardware failover and managing off-site backup.
Not sure whether this feature is useful for your intended apps.

> What package would you recommend I use with HAppS to merge HTML
> templates with application data?

My apps including Pass.net use XSLT.  For HTTP, HAppS looks at the
user-agent and if the browser does XSLT then it serves out XML with an
XSLT PI at the top.  If the browser doesn't support XSLT then it run
xsltproc on the server.  I don't think any MUA implements XSLT so the
XML mail sending agent runs all outbound mail through xsltproc on the
server.

Note: the implementation of browser xslt detection here is very warty.
I'd love it if someone else wanted to take some time to clean it up.

-Alex-