[Haskell-cafe] Bug in Data.Graph

Christophe Poucet christophe.poucet at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 21:17:15 EDT 2006

Dear,

I think I have discovered a bug in Data.Graph. If one looks at the
documentation it states:

Vertex = (Node, Node)
An edge from the first vertex to the second.
Ergo (i,j) => j is reachable from i

Then continuing, one reads that:
topSort :: Graph -> [Vertex]
A topological sort of the graph. The order is partially specified by the
condition that a vertex /i/ precedes /j/ whenever /j/ is reachable from
/i/ but not vice versa.

However if one tries to evaluate it, one gets:
 > print . G.components $ G.buildG (1,4) [(1,2), (1,3), (2,4), (2,3)]
 > [1,3,2,4]

According to specification we have the graph (with arrows pointing down)
1
/ \
| 3
|/
2

4

Therefore one would expect [4,2,3,1].

Is this a bug in the documentation or the implementation?

With regards,
Christophe

--
Christophe Poucet