[Haskell-cafe] heap issues

Jeff Polakow jeff.polakow at db.com
Thu Jul 27 16:27:32 EDT 2006

Hello,

  Why would ghci run out of heap space (and crash) the second time I run a
computation?

More specifically, I have a ghci session which goes something like this:

    *Analysis>run
    [ ... print out of a very long list ...]

    *Analysis>run
    [ ... partial print out
    GHC's heap exhausted: current limit is 268435456 bytes;
    Use the `-M<size>' option to increase the total heap size.

Shouldn't the garbage collector free up everything in between my top-level
function executions?

Also, there doesn't appear to be a  '-M<size>' flag for ghc (I'm using
6.4.2 on windows xp).

thanks,
  Jeff