[Haskell-cafe] Haskell performance in heavy numerical computations

Frederik Eaton frederik at a5.repetae.net
Sun Jul 16 12:40:42 EDT 2006

Alberto Ruiz has developed a linear algebra library which could be
seen as an alternative to Matlab/Octave, using the GSL, ATLAS, LAPACK,
etc. IIRC.

http://dis.um.es/~alberto/GSLHaskell/

I've optimized it in some places, and added an interface which
guarantees operand conformability through the type system at compile
time.

http://ofb.net/~frederik/stla/

It is almost twice as fast as Octave on an example program, and
probably comparable to Matlab. However, it is currently very difficult
to debug some of the type errors which are emitted by GHC when using
it, and there are some outstanding heap-related bugs. Also, we don't
have as wide a variety of built-in functions as Matlab and Octave do.

Frederik

--
http://ofb.net/~frederik/