[Haskell-cafe] Hackathon hesitation

Martin Percossi haskell-cafe at martinpercossi.com
Thu Jul 13 03:11:22 EDT 2006

Chad Scherrer wrote:

 > I'm interested in attending the Hackathon, but I don't have
 > anyprevious experience working on compilers.

One book I'm reading right now is "Modern Compiler Implementation in ML"
(http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~appel/modern/ml/). The author writes a
compiler of increasing complexity as the book progresses. He focuses on
a practical approach, eschewing a rigorous introduction to the lambda
calculus, for instance -- this suits me, as there are good references
elsewhere on the latter. It's in NJ Standard ML, but I've found it
relatively straightforward to understand.

Another question regarding the hackathon: will anyone be video taping
the presentations? I live in europe and travel will be prohibitive: it
would be nice if the presentations where mpeg'd and dumped onto the
haskell website so that anyone can watch them!

Martin