[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why is there no splitBy in the list module?

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Wed Jul 12 18:57:50 EDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Evan Laforge wrote:

> Also, my version of the "split but don't drop the delimiter" is
> breakAll, since it's like a recursive break.
>
> words/unwords and lines/unlines have one argument, so a 2 argument
> fielts/unfields would break that "convention".  Maybe:
>
> fields = csv `separateWith` ","
> csv = fields `joinWith` "," -- equivalent to concatIntersperse

I may be confused about your point, but I think the way we
get split functions down to one parameter is by partial application -

  commaSplit = splitBy (== ',')
  fields = commaSplit csv

Hence I would much rather have the split condition be the first
parameter -- the infix notation looks good, but it will need a
"flip" to get the parameters in the right order.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com