[Haskell-cafe] Windows Haskell GUI

Jason Dagit dagit at eecs.oregonstate.edu
Wed Jul 5 20:51:32 EDT 2006

On 7/5/06, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 16:06 -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:
> > I can't help with gtk2hs as I haven't tried it yet, but I hear the dev
> > community is much more alive and very helpful.  My main concerns with
> > gtk2hs were 1) I need a native look 'n feel
>
> This is a common misconception. Gtk+ uses the windows native theming
> dlls so look pretty good. See some of our screen shots:
> http://www.haskell.org/gtk2hs/gallery/HRay
>
> If you do find any places where it doesn't match the native theme then
> please report them in the Gtk+ bugzilla.

What about file dialogs?  Perhaps it's just GIMP but I thought it was
all gtk programs that used the really out-of-place file dialogs on
windows (I think gaim uses the same ones).  I looked at some of your
screenshots.  Looks better overall than I remembered.

> > 2) ease of distribution with my application.
>
> Is there something specific we could improve here?

I haven't tried this myself; I was going by word of mouth.  The
testimonial appears here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/13378

> Note that if you're building a standalone app then you can just bundle
> all the Gtk+ .dll files in your apps install directory and it'll work
> fine. So there's no need to have users install Gtk+ separately, you can
> include all the stuff into one installer.

Ah, that's good to know.  I may not be using haskell on my project
after all :( but I'll keep this in mind for future oppurtunities.

Thanks,
Jason