[Haskell-cafe] Re: Packages and modules

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Wed Jul 5 14:14:01 EDT 2006

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>> So instead of just taking this simple solution, the wiki proposal is
>> instead destroying the beauty of the per-package namespace idea by
>> incorporating into it the existing shared namespaces with their
>> attendant problems, instead of just letting the existing messy
>> system die a natural death through the syntactic isolation I
>> proposed.
>
> Brian,
>
> I think your proposal may be clearer to you than to everyone else.
> It's always hard to reconstruct a detailed proposal by reading long
> email threads.
>
> Suggestion: if you feel strongly about this, why not start a Wiki page
> (you can link to it from the current one) to describe the design you
> propose, at a comparable level of detail?
>
> Incidentally, compatibility with Cabal is a significant goal.

Hi Simon -
Actually re-reading my post  I realised I may have sounded a bit negative
about the hard work you'd done to collate the various responses to form the
wiki proposal - my apologies.

I've followed your suggestion and made a separate page at
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/GhcPackagesAlternativeProposal
(linked from the bottom of the existing page)which will hopefully make my
ideas a lot clearer. I've also changed my proposed syntax so that it is 100%
backwards compatible (no new keywords) with the existing module system and
language (and existing package naming rules).

Regards, Brian.

strive mightily unseen to destroy us.

http://www.metamilk.com