[Haskell-cafe] Shootout favouring C

Isaac Gouy igouy at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 21:13:50 EST 2006

--- Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> wrote:

> > motive
> Jealousy?

I've never used C or C++ so I probably don't mix with
enough of those guys to say, but the impression I got
was of, shall we say, 'assertive confidence'.

-snip-
> and I dare say Java does suffer from that even more
than GHC
-snip-
> > then we are being unfair to Haskell by 0.002s on
every
> > test - we only show  measurements to 0.01s!
>
> And you take the average of how many runs?

See the FAQ "How did you measure
?"
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/faq.php#measure

-snip-
> So I don't consider timings of such short tasks very
> reliable

So look at the tasks where the fastest program takes
seconds and needs more than 5 lines of code :-)

-snip-
> And though I've no reason to suppose it would help
> Haskell, for the same reasons, I'd like the fannkuch
> benchmark changed to Pfannkuchen(10).

That's been shown for Gentoo/Intel since at least
December
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/fulldata.php?test=fannkuch&p1=gcc-0&p2=ghc-2&p3=gcc-0&p4=ghc-2

-snip-
> Unfortunately, often the desire for speed wrecks
elegance

Contribute elegant slower programs and maybe we'll
show them - we're currently showing two C++ sum-file
programs, one's ~25x faster than the other.