[Haskell-cafe] Re: Shootout favouring C

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Mon Jan 16 14:36:27 EST 2006

On 2006-01-16, Sebastian Sylvan <sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> they chose
>>
>> > Sebastian Sylvan <sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > This is interesting. Hopefully it's not intentional,
>>
>> Pardon my rudeness but this really is getting a bit
>> much!
>>
>> Please keep to the true spirit of fictional crime
>> writing and provide a motive for these evil characters
>> who will stop at nothing to make Haskell seem some
>> worse than C.
>>

> I think you're being a bit paranoid here, nobody's claiming that
> there's some hidden agenda, just that there are improvements that
> could be made to increase accuracy and fairness.

Well, when you start bringing up whether it is intentional, his reaction
seems quite reasonable.

> Surely you can see how a benchmark where the top three entries all
> have the same reported time would be better if run for a longer period
> of time?

Sure.  Post a bug/suggestion/feature request on the shootout tracker.
This isn't the right forum to complain in (not that I really have the
moral high-ground here.)

> I really don't understand why you get so upset when someone points out
> improvements that could be made to the benchmarks. Isn't it better to
> get more accurate (and fair) results?

There are good ways to do this, and ways that sound delusional and
paranoid.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-