[Haskell-cafe] Avoiding name collisions by using value spaces instead of modules

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 13:49:59 EST 2006

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 01:06:18PM -0000, Brian Hulley wrote:
> 5) We can get all the advantages of automatic namespace management the OOP
> programmers take for granted, in functional programming, by using value
> spaces as the analogue of objects, and can thereby get rid of complicated
> import/export directives

There is nothing complicated in Haskell's module system. It's very
simple, explicit, independent from the type system and therefore easy to
understand. "Verbose" or "low-level" would be better accusations.

It seems that you want to introduce some kind of C++'s Koenig's lookup
to Haskell. Is it your inspiration? For me, C++ doesn't seem to be a
source of good ideas for programming language design ;-)

Best regards
Tomasz

--
I am searching for programmers who are good at least in
(Haskell || ML) && (Linux || FreeBSD || math)