[Haskell-cafe] Shootout rankings

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Sun Jan 15 09:04:59 EST 2006

Ketil Malde wrote:
> dons at cse.unsw.edu.au (Donald Bruce Stewart) writes:
>
>> Haskell now ranked 2nd overall, only a point or so behind C:
>>
>>     http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all
>>

> Very impressive!  And note that if you put zero weight on memory use,
> GHC wins by a large margin.  (OTOH, if you take out lines count,
> things don't look quite as good :-)

Very impressive indeed.  You don't even need to put zero weight on
memory use for GHC to win.  Personally, I used weights of speed=1,
memory=1, code lines=2, as I believe that _programmer_ efficiency is
just as important as _language_ efficiency.  The one to beat was MLton
under those weights, and GHC is now doing so handily.

It might be worth noting that under the 1,1,2 weigting, and with
"tcp-request-reply" properly deprecated (ie weight=0), the rankings are
Haskell GHC
SML MLton
OCaml
C gcc
so that the functional languages show rather impressively, better than
"portable assembler" (as C ought to be more widely known)

Jacques