[Haskell-cafe] Re: What does the Haskell type system do with "show (1+2)"?

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Fri Jan 13 21:53:03 EST 2006

Daniel Fischer wrote:
> Now the question is, could that restriction be lifted, i.e., would it be
> possible/worthwhile to let defaulting also take place if user defined classes
> are involved?

The current defaulting mechanism in Haskell is very, very conservative.
You could easily relax the restriction that all classes have to come
from the Prelude.  I have sometimes wished for that.
But on the other hand, I try to avoid relying on defaulting anywhere,
so it doesn't disturb me much.

	-- Lennart