[Haskell-cafe] multiline strings in haskell?

Jason Dagit dagit at eecs.oregonstate.edu
Thu Jan 12 10:43:07 EST 2006

On Jan 12, 2006, at 1:34 AM, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Michael Vanier wrote:
>
>> Is there any support for multi-line string literals in Haskell?  I've
>> done a web search and come up empty.  I'm thinking of using
>> Haskell to
>> generate web pages and having multi-line strings would be very
>> useful.
>
> Do you mean
>
> unlines ["first line", "second line", "third line"]

The original poster probably meant something like this:

let foo = "This is a
long string

Which does not end until the matching end quote."

Common Lisp has strings like this.  Quite convenient whenever you're
communicating using lots of strings of data.  For example, when
running as a cgi script.

Thanks,
Jason