[Haskell-cafe] Shootout summary

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Fri Jan 6 21:20:34 EST 2006

Summary of things entered and of things being worked on.

Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> haskell:
>
>>Simon Marlow wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Chris,
>>>
>>>Rather than try to explain what I'm going on about, I decided to tweak
>>>the code a bit myself.  My version is about 10% faster than yours, and
>>>doesn't use any explicit unboxery.  I've put it in the wiki after your
>>>version.
>>>
>>>http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/ChameneosEntry
>>>
>>>Could someone upload this to the shootout?
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>    Simon
>>>

>>So no one else tries to submit this: I have just sent it to the shootout.
>

> Perhaps we should submit some of the other entires on the wiki too?
>
> -- Don

I updated their wiki pages before, but the following submissions are in
the pipeline.  I am using

https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?group_id=30402&atid=411646

as a way to query the Category == Haskell GHC
                      State == Any
                      Order by == ID Descending

On 6 Jan, I submitted:
sum-file was submitted (using Simon style implicit unboxery)
fasta was submitted (using Simon style implicit unboxery and which
should fix the memory leak)
chameneos was submitted (where Simon made the unboxing implicit)
On 5 Jan:
pidigit was submitted (Branimir Maksimovic's)
On 4 Jan:
regex-dna was submitted (by Don, but you knew that, Don)

etc.

Things that are on the wiki at http://haskell.org/hawiki/ShootoutEntry
but that have not been submitted:

Fannkuch entry by Bertram Felgenhauer
K-nucleotide (if it become space competitive)
Reverse Complement (if it becomes space competitive)
Harmonic entry
Mandelbrot entry
N-Body entry

I have not tackled the space problems of K-nucleotide and Rev-Comp, but
it seems that Haskell has a powerful need for better string array
capabilities in its standard library.  I am hopeful they can be
revisited once that new version arrives (and the fata benchmark as well).

I think after updating sum-file and fasta that I know understand how to
tweak things with -funbox-strict-fields.  Thanks Simon!

--
Chris