[Haskell-cafe] Re[2]: Joels Time Leak

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Thu Jan 5 18:49:11 EST 2006

Hello Simon,

SM> It will have an impact, because the tick signal has to be delivered to
SM> the process and the signal handler run.

you are saying about C callback which would be called by OS to count
ticks?

SM> The impact on CPU time is
SM> small, but could be noticeable if we were to choose too small an
SM> interval.  Furthermore, the ticker prevents idle Haskell processes from
SM> being completely swapped out (that problem already exists).

having ticks of 0.02 sec or 0.000002 sec doesn't change anything for
this problem

i think that reasonable tick would be in range of 10-100 microseconds,
so what program with 10k threads (reasonable maximum with current
technologies state) can give slice to each thread in 0.1-1 seconds

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com