[Haskell-cafe] Progress on shootout entries

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Tue Jan 3 16:37:44 EST 2006

Hello,

  Where there were no entries to the
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=chameneos&lang=all
benchmark, there are now two.  The one by Josh Goldfoot is already
posted, the one Einar Karttunen and I optimized has been submitted and
will run faster/smaller.  Our code is at
http://haskell.org/hawiki/ChameneosEntry

  Now for improving the fasta benchmark,
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=fasta&lang=all ,
which currently has a space leak in the Haskell entry.

  A non-leaking version which has been optimized to run 3.5 times faster
is now up at http://haskell.org/hawiki/FastaEntra (ooops..my spelling
mistake).

  It could still be made to run about 3 times faster, if the other
languages are any guide.  Anyone want to help polish this one?

 Also, two other existing entries have space leaks, as can be seen at
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ghc&lang2=ghc

 And finially, the haskel entry for
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=fannkuch&lang=all
 is currently the *slowest* entry out of 28 languages.  It is 813x
slower than the c-code, 500x slower than OCaml.  Should be easy to make
it faster...

Cheers,

  Chris Kuklewicz