[Haskell-cafe] Re: standard poll/select interface

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Thu Feb 23 19:27:55 EST 2006

Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> writes:

> I agree that a generic select/poll interface would be nice.

We must be aware that epoll (and I think kqueue too) registers event
sources in advance, separately from waiting, which is its primary
advantage over poll.

The interface should use this model because it's easy to implement it
in terms of select/poll without losing efficiency, but the converse
would lose the benefit of epoll.

(My runtime has a generic interface on the C level only, for hooking
another implementation to be used by the scheduler.)

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl
    ^^     http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/