[Haskell-cafe] building ghc on win with gcc of cygwin, without cygwin1.dll (-mno-cygwin flag) ?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 20 12:20:43 EST 2006

| Googling around I've found that there exists the -mno-cygwin flag
which
| you can use to not include this lib.. So would it might be possible to
| get a ghc build not using cygwin.dll with just cygwin ?

I don't know.  It sounds plausible.  But we only have enough resource to
maintain one route for building GHC on Windows.  We'd be delighted if
other folk were engaged enough to push other routes through and make
them work.

Another route we don't have, but which in principle is definitely
feasible is to compile GHC using Cygwin for Cygwin.  The advantage would
be that the resulting GHC would have a working Posix library.  The
disadvantage is that programs it compiles would require Cygwin to run.

Anyway, it's up for grabs.  Please grab away!  We need more
Windows-savvy expertise on GHC.

Simon