[Haskell-cafe] HaXml: ampersand in attribute value

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Mon Feb 20 11:30:13 EST 2006

Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> But speaking of HaXml bugs, I'm pretty sure HaXml doesn't handle
> % correctly.  It seem to treat % specially everywhere, but I think
> it is only special inside DTDs.  I have many XML files produced by
> other tools that the HaXml parser fails to process because of this.

Indeed.  This is an area that I found required a fair amount of work on the
version of HaXML I was playing with, some time ago.

The change log at the end of:
has some clues to what I had to do.  Notably:
-- Revision 1.12  2004/06/04 21:59:13  graham
-- Wortk-in-progress:  creating intermediate filter to handle parameter
-- entity replacement.  Separated common features from parse module.
-- Created new module based on simplified use of parsing utilities
-- to dtect and substitute PEs.  The result is a modifed token sequence
-- passed to the main XML parser.

The parameter entity filter is defined by:

The parameter and entity entity handling aspect of the code was not pretty, due
mainly to the somewhat quirky nature of XML syntax, especially concerning
parameter and general entities.

Graham Klyne
For email: