[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hashtable woes

Jan-Willem Maessen jmaessen at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 15 12:48:49 EST 2006

On Feb 15, 2006, at 3:42 AM, Ketil Malde wrote:

> Not sure how relevant this is, but I see there is a recently released
> hash library here that might be a candidate for FFIing?
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/goog-sparsehash/

The real issue isn't the algorithms involved; I saw the best
performance from the stupidest hash algorithm (well, and switching to
multiplicative hashing rather than mod-k).  The problem is GC of hash
table elements.  FFI-ing this library would give us really good
algorithms, but the GC would all indirect through the FFI and I'd
expect that to make things *worse*, not better.

-Jan