[Haskell-cafe] Re[2]: Fast Mutable Variables for the IO and ST monads

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Mon Feb 6 19:19:03 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:13:47PM +0300, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> btw, i have the counter proposal - automatically convert IORefs of
> simple types to the fast internal variables like the Int automatically
> converted to the Int#. The same applies to automatic conversion of
> arrays to the unboxed arrays

Yeah, I have thought about doing this optimization for jhc. the only
issue is that figuring out 'strictness' through an updatable variable
is pretty darn tricky. It would be good if there were an IOSRef which is
a strict IORef (this can be simulated with normal IORefs and seq) but
with secret internal compiler support to automatically turn them into
their unboxed equivalants.
        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈